The City of Sydney recently advertised the potential allocation of a public car parking space to a car share scheme in Elizabeth Bay. This is the latest in the allocation of a number of public spaces to car share schemes.
Having thought about it a bit, I wrote a comment to Council about the proposal below.
Ref no: S034333-02 (2010/136170)
I agree with allocating an existing onstreet car parking space to a car share parking scheme but that the space should be near Beare Park instead of at the intersection of Ithaca Rd and Elizabeth Bay Rd.
Proposed location of car share parking space
I suggest that any car share parking space should be located near Beare Park (at the end of Ithaca Rd) or nearby in Billyard Ave instead of the proposed location near the intersection of Ithaca Rd and Elizabeth Bay Rd.
This is because a car share parking space near Beare Park would be much more accessible to residents with low mobility living in the Beare Park and Billyard Ave areas. The importance of access to transport for these residents was highlighted with the campaign against the withdrawal of the 311 bus route from Ithaca Rd, Billyard Ave and Onslow Ave. Articles in and letters to local papers (e.g. the Wentworth Courier) since the withdrawal of the bus route have highlighted the negative impact of the withdrawal of the 311 bus on these residents’ mobility.
I understand that relocating the proposed car share parking space would likely change the catchment area for its potential users. The number of users from the Roslyn Gardens/Rushcutters Bay area and Elizabeth Bay Rd loop areas may decrease. However, the number of users from the Beare Park/Billyard Ave area would likely increase. It should be noted that many people live in the Ithaca Rd/Billyard Ave areas – there are more than 1000 residences on Ithaca Rd, the Esplanade, Billyard Ave and Onslow Ave.
Should there be a car share parking space in Elizabeth Bay?
I commented above on where any car share parking space should be. Below I comment on whether there should be a car share parking space in the area by considering its following aspects at a conceptual level:
- the nature of the car sharing scheme
- impact on the numbers of people driving cars
- impact on the supply and demand for onstreet car parking spaces
- impact on traffic congestion
- efficient use of the parking space, and
- efficient use of cars.
After considering these issues, my comments are:
- firstly, Council should treat businesses providing car hire services in a similar way to how it treats businesses providing car share schemes. This it to ensure competitive neutrality in the car hire market,
- secondly, I agree with the proposal to allocate an existing public onstreet car park to a car share scheme. The car share space should be near Beare Park or in Billyard Ave instead of near the intersection of Ithaca Rd and Elizabeth Bay Rd,
- I agree with creating a car share parking space as it would appear to be likely to decrease the demand for onstreet parking in the medium-to-long term, although it would potentially marginally increase traffic congestion and result in more inefficient use of the parking space.
It is difficult to consider the impacts of introducing a car share parking space in Ithaca Rd as the traffic system is a complicated system. Conceptually, an empirical assessment should be done on the impacts of introducing car share parking to date in inner-Sydney before one is introduced in Ithaca Rd. This should take into account that a car share parking space was introduced at the intersection of Greenknowe Ave and Onslow Ave, Elizabeth Bay, some time ago. Read the rest of this entry »